eBay versus Discogs versus...?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eBay versus Discogs versus...?

I'm pretty sure I asked this question a few years back and got encouragement to move to Amazon because of the smaller fees. Recently, it's been all Discogs, all the time.

Right now I sell on both Discogs and eBay. Just started the former so there's only been 1 sale. (WOOOOOO!) Seemed pretty simple.

http://www.discogs.com/seller/lushj/profile
    http://stores.ebay.com/Jesse-Lusciou...s-Punk-n-More_

Is there a 3rd option that makes sense?

What would you suggest? I'm leaning towards getting rid of the ebay store altogether but keeping my account there since it's 14 or 15 years old & I sometimes buy things through the site.

I have a ton of records I wanna sell myself; what's discogs' cut? I always liked ebay cause I tend to do auctions, but I also had pretty good luck ridding myself of a couple lps on there recently as buy-it-nows.

Comment

Yes...Discogs cut and ease of use explanations would be cool. I have lots of stuff in duplicate that I'd like to sell - I tinkered with doing a distro at one point and really don't need multi copies of things.

Comment

Listing on Discogs is free, they take 8% of the sale. With a limit of $150. From experience, that's the place where you'll want to list any records that aren't worth a ton of money or any newer releases etc. You'll definitely be waiting a while for a sale, but they do come through. Also your listings remain up indefinitely or until you delete them.

If you have super valuable records just keep using eBay. It's where your listing will get the most exposure and people are willing to shell out more money for rare items. Also more likely to sell quickly. If you don't like auctions you can just list everything at a buy it now price. But I would recommend undercutting whatever the maximum previously sold value is to get people interested.

Discogs users are looking for a bargain, or at least prices that aren't fucking bananas.

As far as ease of use, Discogs wins, hands down. eBay requires all sorts of bullshit fields to be filled out, and very specific item descriptions. If you have a large amount of records to list, eBay is a pain in the ass. There is a tool on eBay to input barcodes so most of the mundane details are filled out for you, but more often than not they don't have any information on most records. Especially obscurist, niche stuff. Discogs however, has just about all the info you need. Even for bootleg releases. You find the release, you say you have it for sale, plug in some grading values and that's it. All the hard work is already done for you (album info, matrix numbers, etc. etc.). It's rare that I come across a record that isn't represented on discogs. And when that's the case, you just submit the info yourself.

Comment

If there's a third option, I don't know about it. I remember the website Gemm, but I never used it and it was a total mess. The only other thing I could suggest is setting up your own webstore and selling things off that way, but that seems like a lot more work than it's worth and potentially more expensive.

Comment

I do like 90% discogs and a little ebay and webstore. Discogs is totally the way to go. I get 10+ orders every week at great prices. So easy too. Ebay takes an obnoxious fee and setting up 100 different listings is a pain in the ass.

Comment

I like gemm.com! I'd forgotten about that site... good for overseas stuff too.

Have any of you sold on gemm.com before?

Comment

Originally posted by lushj View Post
                I like gemm.com! I'd forgotten about that site... good for overseas stuff too.

Have any of you sold on gemm.com before?
                The record store I work at has the entire store on gemm. Not much sells. I actually had no idea it existed until I started working there.

Comment

I switched entirely to Discogs EXCEPT for things that aren't on discogs.

Hey look! http://www.discogs.com/seller/lushj/profile

Comment

I put the only thing I couldn't find on discogs (!!!) on ebay & it didn't sell.

On the plus side, the AT stuff I have on discogs is selling steadily, plus I sold one Criminals LP to a kid who had me sign his record. He was stoked!

I'm still trying to figure out the default shipping rules for Discogs- it almost forced me to send a CD to Canada for more than I was being paid for both the CD & the automatic postage! Luckily I could figure out other shipping options at my work and avoided all that. Whew!

Comment

man, i want that girl groups lp

Comment

The only other thing I could suggest is setting up your own webstore and selling things off that way, but that seems like a lot more work than it's worth and potentially more expensive.
                        Backlink | Buy Backlink

Comment

Working...
                        X