No announcement yet.

Ramones

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

haven't paid attention to this thread in a while but i've been on a huge ramones kick for the last couple weeks and it all started off with reading Marky's book, which i really ended up liking. i followed that up with reading monte's book. i read that one back in 06 but i borrowed it and kinda forgot about it so it was nice to read that one again. so it looks like the KKK took my baby away wasn't about johnny afterall, it was recorded for pleasant dreams and apparently joey didn't know about johnny and linda until after they kicked marky out, marky claims joey wrote it years before they recorded it about a black girl he was in a hospital with.

last week i listened to a lot of albums i haven't listened to in a while... Subterranian Jungle, Animal Boy, Half Way To Sanity, Brain Drain, Mondo Bizarro, Acid Eaters, and Adios Amigos. STJ's drum sound is obviously awful, and really there's only a few songs on here i like, and i kinda feel that the leads are a little overkill on this one. Animal Boy again has 3 or 4 good songs and then meh. on halfway to sanity i feel that again there's some good songs, but the other ones are some of their worst. i guess Brain Drain kinda follows suit. as for Mondo, when i first got it 10 years ago (Captain Oi version) i thought it was pretty much garbage aside from Poison Heart, but i've come around on it a lot, i actually really like the album now and i just ordered it on vinyl (the only studio album i didn't have on vinyl yet). i really like the guitar sound on mondo but i hate the drum sounds. the album has its low points but i feel it's pretty solid. it's kinda funny because johnny doesn't like mondo, but in an old issue of Panic Button he talks to ben weasel about it and says it's really good, and ben end up liking it a lot. acid eaters is whatever, i don't take it too seriously and i enjoy it when i listen to it. Adios Amigos is a great final album. good production and only one or two weak songs.

i started watching some old interviews on youtube too, this one is pretty awkward, it's from the howard stern show after the band broke up
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCdMPbTc_G8

Comment

I have 10 Ramones books, and of them all, my favourite is Monte's by a long shot. Another underrated Ramones book is Everet True's "Hey Ho Lets Go". I put it off for a long time, assuming it'd be the same old stories rehashed, but it was pretty thick, and full of cool shit I didn't know. For example, I always LOVED the Pleasant Dreams demos, and to no surprise, it turned out that Tommy and Ed Stasium produced them. They should've went with them for the album.
      I'm going to pick up Markys book this week since I'm hearing so many positive reviews on it.
      Regarding "KKK", I think it was mentioned in Mickey Leighs book as well, that the whole "KKK took my baby away" line was a running joke between Joey and Mickey as far back as the mid '70s when Joey was dating a black girl from the mental hospital.

I agree regarding Subterranean Jungle's drum sound, it's awful. I love the pairing of Johnny and Walter Lure's leads though. I think Johnny's guitar sounds the worst on Animal Boy.
      My personal Ramones list (not counting Acid Eaters 'cause it's a cover album) would go:

13: Brain Drain
      12: Animal Boy
      11: Mondo Bizarro
      10: Halfway to Sanity
      9: Too Tough To Die
      8: End of the Century
      7: Subterranean Jungle
      6. Pleasant Dreams
      5: Adios Amigos
      4: Road To Ruin
      3: ST
      2: Rocket To Russia
      1: Ramones Leave Home

Again, just personal. Adios Amigos (along with Rocket and Loco Live) was my first Ramones album in 1995, so I'm a little biased about it.
      Sidenote: The Ramones 15 song session produced by Tommy from February 2nd, 1975 is unreal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_vg4kDO9o8 (missing "I Don't Care")
      Also, here's the Pleasant Dreams demo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMYhMd-NiZk (missing "Kicks To Try" and "Stares in This Town")
      Last edited by Get-Action; 02-04-2015, 12:07 AM.

Comment

i never read hey ho lets go, i might have to check it out. i also haven't read mickey's book but i heard that it's not worth checking out. i think monte is the one who started the KKK song being about johnny rumor, it's in end of the century, right? i have another documentary where they interview him and ask him about it and he gets this smirk on his face and said "well that's what i said in the other documentary, isn't it?"

listening to the pleasant dreams demo now, it's pretty good. i feel the actual album was recorded alright but the mix just sucks, it's all drums and vocals. the guitar sound isn't that bad, it's just buried in the mix. i was thinking recently how great it would be if Ed Stasium went and remixed End of the Century, Pleasant Dreams, Subterranian Jungle, and maybe even Animal Boy, Halfway to Sanity, and Brain Drain. also, i was reading about the album cover johnny wanted to use for pleasant dreams, i think i found it...

Comment

Loco Live was my first Ramones CD when i was in high school. in retrospect, it's a weird one, but it had the most songs and i had basically no money. i'm curious about Marky's book. i went to hear him speak last week and it was pretty great. except for his Phil Spector conspiracy theory.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle Serlington View Post
            i never read hey ho lets go, i might have to check it out. i also haven't read mickey's book but i heard that it's not worth checking out. i think monte is the one who started the KKK song being about johnny rumor, it's in end of the century, right? i have another documentary where they interview him and ask him about it and he gets this smirk on his face and said "well that's what i said in the other documentary, isn't it?"

listening to the pleasant dreams demo now, it's pretty good. i feel the actual album was recorded alright but the mix just sucks, it's all drums and vocals. the guitar sound isn't that bad, it's just buried in the mix. i was thinking recently how great it would be if Ed Stasium went and remixed End of the Century, Pleasant Dreams, Subterranian Jungle, and maybe even Animal Boy, Halfway to Sanity, and Brain Drain. also, i was reading about the album cover johnny wanted to use for pleasant dreams, i think i found it...

I never really thought about that.... but I guess Monte was probably the first one to say that.
            And Yeah, nothing against Pleasant Dreams at all. I love that album as it is too, like you said, it's just the mix that sucks, and listening to the demo really hints at what could've been something more akin to what the Ramones were all about. Love the final cover too, but again, that alternate was definitely more fitting for the band.

Comment

Originally posted by doctoracula View Post
              Loco Live was my first Ramones CD when i was in high school. in retrospect, it's a weird one, but it had the most songs and i had basically no money. i'm curious about Marky's book. i went to hear him speak last week and it was pretty great. except for his Phil Spector conspiracy theory.
              I was really surprised to learn later on how hated Loco Live was, even by the band. A lot of the songs on Loco Live I prefer more than the actual recordings, especially the Animal Boy ones.
              Last edited by Get-Action; 02-05-2015, 09:42 PM.

Comment

i never had a problem with loco live, but i also haven't listened in a loooooong time

Comment

I've been on a kick of their poppy stuff (originals and covers). really wish there was a best of that had tracks like she's a sensation, don't go, baby i love you, new girl in town, my kind of girl, merry xmas...., i wanna be your boyfriend, come back baby, etc.

Comment

daytime dilemma!

Comment

i got the reissue CD of end of the century last week, man i would love to hear this album remixed. i really like the sounds of the demo songs at the end, although joey's vocals seem a little off. i wonder why "Please Don't Leave" didn't make it to the album.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyle Serlington View Post
                        i got the reissue CD of end of the century last week, man i would love to hear this album remixed. i really like the sounds of the demo songs at the end, although joey's vocals seem a little off. i wonder why "Please Don't Leave" didn't make it to the album.

I love that demo of "All The Way". "Please Don't Leave" is a good one too and I also can't figure out why it didn't make the album...better than "I'm Affected",
                        I find Joey's vocal just sounds like he did it quickly in one take or something... not necessarily bad, but I know what you mean...definitely sounds rushed or something.

Comment

there were a lot of parts where he seemed flat, and i thought hit vocals on the rock n roll radio demo were real bad

Comment

shit, so according to this there's a mono mix of the first ramones album! i really hope that surfaces someday http://bombmagazine.org/article/1000173/craig-leon

Comment

Working...
                            X