worksomes 2: work harder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• worksomes 2: work harder

We had this ridiculous meeting this afternoon. My eyes hurt from trying to stop them from rolling for pretty much two solid hours.

They are closing my store for three weeks to remodel. So I basically don't work for three weeks (awesome) but no pay (not awesome). We put signs up just about every 4 feet in the store a few weeks ago to alert the customers about what is going on. They are all morons that can't read or understand the sign. Being away from the customers for three weeks is going to rule.

Comment

Since I work for two separate houses, but run by the same owner we decided to give me two different job titles. Just so nobody can screw us on taxes or similar. Probably looks good on my resume in the future. So technically I'm the "Social Media Assistant" in one of the hotels. Taking care of the non-existent Facebook page or something.

Comment

are you the cabana boy in the other? groundskeeper for the fake rv campground?

Comment

It's amazing that a store that opened not too long ago already has to close for remodeling. The store is fairly new right and you started working there when it opened, I'm not imagining that right?

Comment

So the local office the place I work, it covers New York State west of I-81 and up into the northern tier. There are two drivers, me and another dude roughly my age with a young family. We cover a huge area between us, so we work a fair amount of overtime. The business has been a bit slow, so they've been trying to cut it back where possible, and gave us both the day off today (I'd already worked 47 hours and I know he was on overtime as well). So I got a call about half an hour ago asking if I could come in and do some stuff that apparently absolutely has to get done today. I told them no, since I have my kids. I guess they've been badgering the other guy ever since.

Additionally, they run some old equipment and insist that it should never be taken out when it needs any sort of repair but get upset about paying for it and talk about how over R&M budget we are and then try to find ways to make it our fault. No, trucks just break sometimes. Tires just need to be replaced eventually. Winch cables degrade over time. Sometimes everything happens at once. That's trucking. They just don't get fucking anything and it's infuriating.

Like the other day, I made a delivery and then found a sheared off bolt end under my trailer when I was done. It was clearly from my trailer (the paint matched and the shear was totally fresh), so I spent several minutes under the trailer trying to figure out where it came from. When I called in to let the office know, I explained the situation and my concern that I couldn't be sure of where it came from, and consequently wasn't sure what might happen or what caused it to shear. Her attitude was basically "Well, it could've come from somewhere else/it hasn't fallen apart yet/just keep working." I ended up finding where it came from and was able to figure out that it wasn't in imminent danger of falling apart, but the attitude of "just run with it" made me want to reach through the phone and strangle her. And that sort of thing goes on all. the. time. I can't wait to find another job.

Comment

I'm on the bus now, I'll be in Bergen around 7 PM which is in three hours, I start work at 8:30 which means I have under an hour to get dressed and stuff. I haven't been DJ'ing for over a month and I'm excited to do it, maybe we'll get more guests this time. I'm worried they aren't gonna dance though, I'm always worried that I don't play danceable enough songs. I also had to update the facebook page and I probably did it wrong. Responsibility sucks.

Comment

Oops, I'll be back in 7:55!

Comment

In high school i got a job as a grocery bagger. When there was downtime on the line the managers would tell us to go face the shelves. I remember the first time, I just when over to the shelves of pickle and canned mushrooms or something and just stood there facing the food parcels. Fuck the manager wasn't too pleased, but I honestly had zero idea I was supposed to pull all the cans toward the front of the shelf and turn them so the front of the label faces forward. Other good times included getting harassed by a mexican asshole double my age who kept slapping and pinching my butt. I told the managers a bunch of times and they would just tell him to stop it. Some of my fonder memories were when we invented "cart art". See the store had an outdoor drive-thru where patrons could get their bags loaded into their cars. So when there was downtime we started piling the carts on top of each other and setting them upright and making "sculptures". Also there was a slow developing competition for who could accomplish the most complex grocery bag maneuver which usually consisted of drawing a bag from the slot throwing it into the air catching it behind your back with the other hand and then swinging it around while flicking your wrist to force the bag to pop open. If this was done in synchronous with another bagger it then segued into a competition of who could pack all the groceries the quickest coming down their line. My favorite day was when there was an outdoor neighborhood fest and I got asked to juggle bananas while wearing a banana suit and the booth had a sign that said something like “we go bananas for our costumers”. cool story bro

Comment

I'm glad that I started a trend re: thread titles on this new board. LEGACY SEALED.

Comment

Originally posted by Read hard View Post
                      I'm on the bus now, I'll be in Bergen around 7 PM which is in three hours, I start work at 8:30 which means I have under an hour to get dressed and stuff. I haven't been DJ'ing for over a month and I'm excited to do it, maybe we'll get more guests this time. I'm worried they aren't gonna dance though, I'm always worried that I don't play danceable enough songs. I also had to update the facebook page and I probably did it wrong. Responsibility sucks.
                      This started up sort of bad, I got back from my train at 8 and I wasn't at work before 8:35, which was a bit late and we couldn't get anything working and I don't think we had music until 9:30 and I felt like such an asshole for being so late. It went pretty ok though, people requested weird songs, I had to play "wannabe" by Spice girls and a girl said she was gonna murder me if I didn't play the Arctic monkeys. People actually went kind of crazy to "Burn baby burn" by Ash. I got some compliments and people were like "thanks for playing that song!" and this guy was like "you know your shit"(not "you know you're shit", but I know that too!) the German bartender asked for a Frank Turner song and we talked about music during the food break and when we got to American music we talked about blink. I sort of celebrated my birthday at work and I guess I got sort of drunk, which is sort of bad, I guess.

Comment

i never paid attention to the old worksomes thread, which i should have because over the summer i worked for this one dude who was a fucking idiot.

anyways, i work construction and this has been a rough year for me but i'm starting a new job tomorrow. my dad's been on this job for a few weeks now and they're finally bringing me on. we are restoring some old brickwork on a building downtown that was damaged when the building next to it caught on fire a few months back. i've already stopped down there a few times while my dad was working and it seems fairly laid back. i guess this one guy on site is real big into conspiracy theories, i'll keep you guys posted on anything ridiculous he says

Comment

Nice. How will that set you for the winter?

Comment

my dad asked my dad about it last week. he said it could be 2 or 3 weeks or it could be til thanksgiving, but that's just the one job they are on right now, they have another one around here that they are starting too, i dunno if i can get on that or not. they like the work my dad is doing though, the company is out of albany and they already asked him if he'd be willing to travel for work up there in the spring

Comment

Since my store is closed, I have to go work at another store tomorrow. I'm not looking forward to it at all.

Comment

so this job i started the other day has been pretty cool so far. it's been pretty light work and today i actually got to lay some brick on a building that was built in the 1800's. i've only laid a few brick before but today was the first day where i actually did a whole course of it on my own. it's just me and my dad and another guy and his mom, it's really laid back because the boss is only there once a day for a little while. supposedly this job is going to last until thanksgiving, and we might move on to the next job that they are starting but if the weather gets too cold we can't do it since it's all outside.

Comment

I'm making a spotify list for tomorrow and the next time I work, I'm gonna play folk music both days, I'm pretty excited for it! It's the first time I'm DJ'ing alone!

Comment

Today went pretty all right, I got some start up problems cuz the boss was a little late and I didn't find the cables from the amp to the mixer, later the power went in half of the bar, but that was worse for the bartenders, I guess! The German bartender who has great taste in music said he checked out Screeching weasel and said it was really hardcore and he listened to a pink album with a weasel on it. This is exactly the opposite that happened when I told the Slovenian guy to check them out, he heard FWM and said it was too wimpy.

It was weird playing folk music, I started to get really sleepy and I was gonna ask for coffee, but forgot. There's just not much life playing folk music so I don't know if people were happy or not. When I went to the food break the other bartender there said it was nice to hear some Bob Dylan and I did a great job. After the folk singers had played I started gradually playing Doo wop songs and 60's rock music. I was about to play Surfin' USA when some guy asked for Journey and I had to play that. After that I started playing the Queers and the Ronettes and the Ramones, a girl came and asked for a ska song and I gave her a thumbs up since I finally got a request I liked. Then this guy came up and what big yellow taxi by Counting crows and I asked "would it be better with Joni Mitchell version?" and he was like "are you kidding? Of course that would be better, I just thought the CC one would be more familiar...are you straight?" and I was wondering if it was a trick question, but was like "yeah" and he was like "FUCK!" and I was kind of quiet and then he said he was looking forward to hearing Joni and I gave him a thumbs up and he asked again "sure you're not gay?" this time I smiled and said "sorry" because either he was gay or he was losing a bet then he was like "FUCK" and started punching the air like you lost something and then he was like "you're the best DJ I've ever heard, and I'm not JUST saying because I'm hitting on you" then I was like "Thanks, I appreciate that" then I put on a song by the Zombies and he heard it on the first note and was like "THE ZOMBIES::... it's sucha shame you aren't gay" I must've been a bit startled, but I hope I didn't come off as homophobic, he did come and say thanks for the Joni song and I gave him a thumbs up again. I'm sure he could've been kidding, but it's kind of cool that gay men have a thing for me.

Then this girl came up to me really close and was like "Can you play some dance music?" and I was playing Blue moon and said "this is dance music!" then she was like "I guess.....but what about Saturday night fever?" and I was like "what about Grease?" and then she was like "YEAH GREASE" and I played some Grease and some Whitney to make her happy, but then I had to please the crowd who wanted to hear the Jam, then I played some More Grease and just played some Green day and Weasel just cuz everyone were leaving anyway.
                                    Last edited by Read hard; 10-17-2014, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Workawesome: I volunteered to do something, then, a day later, it was cancelled. I'm getting thanked for offering to do it, and I didn't even have to do anything.

Comment

One more shift before vacation.

Comment

Had my second interview today. The position is right up my alley. I think I'd enjoy this job. network/systems (only IT guy) in an autism services organization. I hate this feeling of "sooo, you should give me a job. seriously. pickmepickmepickme!"

Comment

Rad! Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by nicole View Post
                                              Rad! Good luck.
                                              thanks. and double thanks for all the assistance.

Comment

Worked on a folk show again. It went pretty good in the beginning. I got some compliments and a a Swedish dude came up and said I did a good job and liked the Woody Guthrie song I played and went to talk to his friends about Billy Bragg. I had some sound problems, because one of the speakers seemed louder than the other. Playing some punk now. I hope no one gets the wrong idea with The Brews and You're tripping.

Comment

I got a callback for a second interview at a place for behavioral autism stuff. The management seemed to really like me and trusts the IT persons judgment on my skills. She was impressed with the resume, told me about benefits asked if I can start monday and said they'll be sending an offer letter along this afternoon. They mentioned being able to meet around the salary I am currently making (until tomorrow! and I was willing to take way less because I just want a job) but that the salary information and benefits information will be in the offer letter. as I was leaving she said "we'll see you monday" it was exhilirating and I also felt like someone was going to jump out and yell "Just kidding, Sucker!"
                                                  The overall process of looking for work and submitting resume after resume has been soul sucking. The phone calls with IT recruiters and HR people looking into my skillsets are arduous. The "You should just hire me because I reeeeally want a job" feeling makes me feel disgusting.

so now what I really want to know is: JUST HOW FUCKING MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO REFRESH MY MAILBOX BEFORE I GET WHAT I WANT?!?!?!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X