Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical Activity Health/Wellness Best Friends Club 2015 Edition

New thread!

Anyone have goals for the year? I am trying to narrow mine down so I can focus on a few things along the way. Strength and flexibility/mobility being the main ones. I am considering a 5K at some point, even though I'm not really into running.

Also, this is pretty related to health, I am trying to get better at sleeping. I'd like to become a morning person, or at least exercise before work starts.

My plan is to lose 30 pounds this year. I had asthma problems in the fall that made me gain a little weight and I still look puffy from the steroids so that needs to go too.

Comment

Oh here we go again.

I haven't done anything since late October. Running went so well back then....

Anyway I busted out the old dumbells today. Let's see how that will go.

One year I will stick to these things without quitting some months in. It might be 2015.

Comment

Same as last year, I aim to run over 1,000 miles. Made it just over that (1,030) last year. It really shouldn't be that difficult, but factoring in things such as working around kids, wife's schedule/traveling, weather (well, rain, as I only go outside), and other activities it makes it tough to get out enough times to hit that mark.

Comment

I have a fitbit. Anyone want to add me? paulcomo84 at the google email dot com

Comment

• PeteEG
            PeteEG commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm not, but my wife has one, and she wants fitbit pals, message me if you want her address.

I bought a set of kettle bells so my goal is to do that pretty frequently. I also want to walk my dogs more often.

Comment

The wife and I have decided after the baby is born we're going to get down to business. We have an elliptical we bought years ago and it was kinda defective, but I think I finally got it fixed. My landlord left another one in the basement so I think if we do it together we're both more likely to actually do it. I'm going to start there and hopefully work up.
            Originally posted by mylesmoist;n593
            we hung out a couple days later in my dorm, played mario kart,and made out when my roommate wasnt looking heheheh. it was fun but shes fucking terrible at mario kart.

Comment

Invitation sent to donutman.
              I love this thread.
              The last three years have been spent focusing on losing weight so for this year, my goal is to focus on fitness and maintenance.
              I haven't been eating as well as I ought to be. I blame being a big sopping wus who decided to get all homesick for a few weeks.
              I've been going to the gym 4 days a week or more on my lunch break and have been powerlifting. (squat, deadlift, bench and military press with some light assistance work)
              I need to go to classes at the MMA gym around the corner from my apartment (already paying for a membership) but I get home 10 minutes before classes start and again, big sopping wet wus.
              Food goals: try to stick to eating the meals I bring to work and making dinner. the last few months have seen me eating a lot of take-out now that I spend about 2 hours a day commuting. at 6 I just don't feel like doing anything. I need to find my fucking motivation.

Comment

Ditch, in the words of the Gorilla biscuits: Start Today

Comment

Oh yeah, Phrank. I thought I had a PDF of this book, but I don't. Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe has a chapter devoted to each of those exercises you're doing (plus power clean). The techniques and stuff for the press are great. His writing style is so gruff and matter-of-fact. I think you would like it.

Comment

Originally posted by phrank View Post
                    Ditch, in the words of the Gorilla biscuits: Start Today

We've been working on diet stuff. So I guess in that sense we are. But her motivation level right now is just about zero and her diet is pretty all over the place. I've been doing alright with eating, but I don't want to leave her stranded all by herself so I'm kinda just trying to roll with it for now.
                    we hung out a couple days later in my dorm, played mario kart,and made out when my roommate wasnt looking heheheh. it was fun but shes fucking terrible at mario kart.

Comment

Originally posted by colin View Post
                      Oh yeah, Phrank. I thought I had a PDF of this book, but I don't. Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe has a chapter devoted to each of those exercises you're doing (plus power clean). The techniques and stuff for the press are great. His writing style is so gruff and matter-of-fact. I think you would like it.
                      I've been using the 531 workout for it. These exercises are so awesome for functional strength. I'm loving deadlifting. I hit 215lbx15reps the other day. I am hesitant to go for a 1 rep max on deadlifts because right now my numbers tell me that I should be able to hit 323lbs (weight x reps x.0333 + weight = theoretical 1 rep max. I love this formula)
                      Whenever I hit that much weight over 10 reps my whole body gets all fucked up. it's a great feeling because every week I'm doing more than I did the week before, but still, it takes a toll on the nervous system.
                      I am looking forward to going on tour with you someday, colin, and we can find gyms in different towns before shows and then we can shower together and sex.

Originally posted by Ditchy View Post

We've been working on diet stuff. So I guess in that sense we are. But her motivation level right now is just about zero and her diet is pretty all over the place. I've been doing alright with eating, but I don't want to leave her stranded all by herself so I'm kinda just trying to roll with it for now.
                      Fuck that bitch. You can tell her I said so! (it's nice that you're using your sympathy-pregnancy as an excuse!) I love you guys, and I think I understand. (if my giving you shit ever gets too personal or bothers you, please tell me.)

Comment

I've been using the 531 workout for it. These exercises are so awesome for functional strength. I'm loving deadlifting. I hit 215lbx15reps the other day. I am hesitant to go for a 1 rep max on deadlifts because right now my numbers tell me that I should be able to hit 323lbs (weight x reps x.0333 + weight = theoretical 1 rep max. I love this formula)
                        Whenever I hit that much weight over 10 reps my whole body gets all fucked up. it's a great feeling because every week I'm doing more than I did the week before, but still, it takes a toll on the nervous system.
                        I am looking forward to going on tour with you someday, colin, and we can find gyms in different towns before shows and then we can shower together and sex.

we can skip the tour, and gyms, and different towns, and showering.

Comment

Fuck that bitch. You can tell her I said so! (it's nice that you're using your sympathy-pregnancy as an excuse!) I love you guys, and I think I understand. (if my giving you shit ever gets too personal or bothers you, please tell me.)

It doesn't bother me. The only thing that bothers me is You're not wrong. I could be doing more on my own. But part laziness, and part sympathy is over ruling my (maybe small) desire to get in shape.

Comment

During pregnancy your appetite is so wacky, after you need a bunch of extra calories if you're breastfeeding, we're not the most supportive people to have around if you're dieting. Having said that, James just tracks his calories still and is doing well, which is good, only one of us is off the wagon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ditchy View Post

It doesn't bother me. The only thing that bothers me is You're not wrong. I could be doing more on my own. But part laziness, and part sympathy is over ruling my (maybe small) desire to get in shape.
                              Yeah, the accountability piece is a real ballbuster sometime. I really need to stop watching TV so much. There's absolutely no reason that I should be done for the night at 6:30pm. laziness FTW

Comment

Originally posted by colin View Post
                                New thread!

Anyone have goals for the year? I am trying to narrow mine down so I can focus on a few things along the way. Strength and flexibility/mobility being the main ones. I am considering a 5K at some point, even though I'm not really into running.

Also, this is pretty related to health, I am trying to get better at sleeping. I'd like to become a morning person, or at least exercise before work starts.

I really enjoy having a YMCA less than a mile from my work. Today was Squat day and I was finished by 7:30. Aped out a 215lbx6 squat after doing all the 531 warmups then I pushed out 210lbx60 leg presses and 110lbx45 leg curls.
                                Showered and at work by 7:45.
                                I am thinking of doing military/shoulder work over lunch just because.
                                anyway colin, get on your morning person shit, stat.

Comment

We started a squat cycle at the gym on Monday. I maxed at 200. It felt awesome to get there. Yesterday, we did overhead squats. Those hurt.

I am easing into the morning routine. This week, I've successfully woken up a little earlier each day. Next week, I wake up and do a bunch of stretching, or light exercise.

Comment

Quit drinking for the month, interested to see if I lose any weight. My goal is 11lbs to get back to my target weight. Besides that, I just need to get active again. I've been sick for the past few weeks so I haven't really been able to do much in the way of exercise but at the very least I've been trying to take the stairs when I can, walk as much as possible and do my job (computer repair) standing up. I'm feeling a bit better today so I might try and do my pushup/planks/free weights routine. I've got a gym in my building but for some reason I hate going down there so I try and do as much exercise as much in my apartment. Probably not a great idea.

Comment

The gym was crazy crowded this week! I was sick from dec 31-jan 6 so I finally was able to go back to the gym yesterday.

Goals for this year: vary my work out more than just running and elliptical.
                                      Take a yoga class and try to attend the classes at my gym.
                                      Clean up my shitty diet and eat out way less. I don't care how much I weigh but I want to be much tighter.
                                      Originally posted by jen;n950
                                      But I'm not really into babies. And I'm really only interested in my own vagina.

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzafan View Post
                                        The gym was crazy crowded this week!
                                        It's amusing how the gyms fill up after the new year. My wife said there's been twice as many people at the gym she goes to this week. I'm sure most of them will abandon it by February...

Comment

I doubt they will last that long. The "this seemed like such a better idea in my head!" look is pretty amusing.

Comment

I saw a lot of people running looking very uncomfortable.
                                            Originally posted by jen;n950
                                            But I'm not really into babies. And I'm really only interested in my own vagina.

Comment

Today's pre-work workout routine. 20:35 seconds to complete.
                                              1-9-15
                                              m3w2 military
                                              45x5
                                              55x5
                                              70x5
                                              80x3
                                              90x3
                                              100x7

Dips - hands and feet on benches.
                                              20, 20, 20
                                              Seated DB Reverse Flye
                                              20x12, 15x15, 15x15
                                              Cable Lateral Raise (each side)
                                              15x10, 20x10, 15x12
                                              DB Hammer Curls
                                              30x12, 30x15, 35x8
                                              EZ Bar Decline Triceps Extension
                                              20lbx6
                                              15x9

Comment

Tuesday: Deadlift day this week I managed a 240lbx9.
                                                My knee is still bumming me out right now so I couldn't do any of the typical support work (lunges, step ups) so I jumped on the Elliptical for 10 minutes and pushed myself like a madman.

Wed was bench. I hit 195x3. and spent more time on the treadmill. assistance work was 3 sets: rows 80lbx9, Decline bench 135x9, Incline press 45'sx10, Tricep Skull Crushers 20lbx15, More elliptical but I did 10 minutes in 2 minute chunks, split up with either crunches or pushups for 40 seconds.

Today was Military press again
                                                105x6
                                                followed by 3 sets of:
                                                Preacher Curls 40x10, 30x12, 25x 15
                                                20 dips, between two benches
                                                Seated DB Reverse Flye 25x12
                                                Shoulder Front raise 10x12, 15x10
                                                Cable lateral Raise 20x12
                                                lat pull down 85x15 115x12
                                                Then some more Elliptical like a crazy person for 10 minutes.

I am enjoying going to the gym in the morning before work. The rest of the day is great.

Comment

Working...
                                                X