NHL 2015/16 thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL 2015/16 thread

Didn't feel like digging around to see if there was already a hockey thread, But figured might as well just start a new one for the new season. I know the bored's become a bit of a ghost town, so not sure how many hockey watching folks still check in. But I know a couple folks commented on my mention of games in the "how's it going" and "tv shows" threads. Either way Devils season opener is tomorrow and presumably a bunch of other teams too. Won 3 out of the 7 preseason games. Not great, but I'm willing to chalk a lot of it up to playing guys from training camp to see what they can or can't do and make whatever cuts and adjustments are necessary in time for the games that count. Always convinced every year can be our year up until the little "e" shows up next to our name in the standings haha. So far have tickets to at least 4 games. Would like to try to swing going to about one a month like I did last year.

Fuck yeah! Goddamn hockey!

Preseason records don't require any chalking anything up to anything.

Goddamn hockey!

Comment

Definitely a bummer of an opening weekend for the Devils. 0 and 2. I think we were 0 and 8 before winning one last season though, so I suppose as long as we have as good or a better start than that I can't complain too much haha. Silver lining will be a bunch of season holders will probably be all reactionary about it and offer up a lot of games for cheap on Craig's List/ebay, so it shouldn't be too out of the question to achieve my attending one live one a month goal. Saw a bit of the Blackhawks/Islanders one after that and some highlights of the Lightning/Sabres that were both pretty one sided, so apparently we're not alone in not having shaken out all of the cobwebs from the off season I suppose.

Comment

Still winless 3 games in. Would've been okay with the 1-0 loss like the score was from the first period on. Then we gave up not one, but two empty netters. Keith Kinkaid looked really great all night though. I personally like him better than our main goalie. He only let one power play goal by the whole night. The biggest tragedy of the night was not knowing the bar that I chose to go watch at only has the kitchen open Thurs through Sun nights. I spent all day at work amped up about their awesome perogies only to be sorely disappointed. Next game I plan on attending there against the flyers on the 29th is thankfully a Thursday.

Comment

much better weekend this time around. lost via shootout and finally got a point in the books against the Sharks on Saturday which is way better than I expected them to do and then finally got our first win against our most heavily despised rivals the Rangers this afternoon. Would have preferred we got it done in regulation so they didn't also get another point, but at least we finally have something to speak of in the W's column. I'm attending the next game Tues against Arizona live.

Comment

Hate the Ducks. Choke on Pronger dong, shitweeds.

Comment

I don't follow the west super closely (but as luck has it am seeing the Devs play mostly teams from that conference for the live games I'm attending this year). We don't meet up with the Ducks til December. What's going on with them?/What have they done/not done to bring that about?

Comment

They're just that team that always beats the Wild. Doesn't matter how the game goes, the only thing that might change is how much the Ducks will win by. I used to think Hiller was far and away the best goalie in the league because I only ever saw him play entire games on his head, but apparently it doesn't matter who's in net so long as he's wearing a frat logo based on a shitty cartoon about space ducks. And it doesn't help that they have Weird Science's Older Brother and Candy Corn Perry and they're all still covered with the roofied haze-stains of Chris Pronger. It was more bearable when the Wild really sucked and had Boogaard because there wasn't any hope of a good season and it wound up with stuff like Boogaard fighting half the team during warm-ups.

Comment

Ah makes sense. I wasn't sure where you were based out of/who you were rooting for. But yeah I like the Wild. On top of Minnesota being a cool place with cool folks I like that they have some of my ex-Devils (Parise and Carter) that parted with the team on good terms. I'm always hoping that eventually Nato & The Blue Diamond Band make some merch parodying the logo giving the bear (?? whatever sort of animal head comprises the shape filled in by the sun and trees and such) Nato's signature mutton chops.

Comment

Devils won their last four games in a row, but until this past Saturday's game against Buffalo they hadn't won one in regulation. So I'm pysched that finally happened. Last I looked we're in 17th out of the 30 teams in the league, but have the same exact win-loss-tie record as several other teams who just happened to score a few more goals in their games. So it'd be pretty awesome to stay on the right track and make a significant jump. Right now the Flyers only have one less loss than us, but have played one less game. We face each other on Thursday. Ought to be exciting for reasons other than it just being a typical divisonal rivalry.

Comment

Could not have asked for a better outcome to tonight's game against the Flyers. Devils are now 16th out of 30 teams. Top of the bottom! Woo! haha. Was bummed to lose to Columbus on Wednesday, but at the same time happy to see their losing streak end (even if they do have an ex-Ranger coach and former Flyer Hartnell. I still love a lot of folks from Ohio and am happy to see David Clarkson doing well). Conversely was really surprised and admittedly relieved to see the Habs win streak end as it was looking like a genuine concern that they were just gonna keep steamrolling everybody.

Comment

Man. Central's playoff push started on day one.

Comment

I don't much care for the black and white 3rd Islander jerseys that debuted last night (and not just cuz they beat my team while wearing them haha). I get it. The Nets changed to that color scheme after they moved to Barclays, and now they're trying to put out the feelers to see how hockey fans would feel about it. But I always loved having the Isles in blue and orange to signify they were Mets of this sport aka the NY team with the much more tolerable fanbase.

Comment

I'm trying to get a hangout happening tomorrow at one of my favorite little dive bars (Buddies Tavern in Parlin) that I've been trying to go watch games at every couple weeks or so to give them some business/be less of a hermit during the season as opposed to just holing up in my apartment. I texted my Devil and Ranger fan friends alike since they're playing tomorrow too. Trying to decide whether or not that's a mistake cuz we're definitely gonna have the much more challenging game against Chicago (2 points ahead of us in the standings because of 1 more win, but they've played one more game, so who knows?) whereas the Rags are playing Colorado who they have literally double the wins/points of and will probably just plow through them. Either way should be a fun night if I can get anybody else to make it out. This will be the first time I go on a weekend night, so I'm hoping I can scare up a better turnout than the one or two friends I had come out the first two times I tried on Tues and Thurs night games. If nothing else the kitchen will be open this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by ScruffCardinale View Post
                              I don't much care for the black and white 3rd Islander jerseys that debuted last night (and not just cuz they beat my team while wearing them haha). I get it. The Nets changed to that color scheme after they moved to Barclays, and now they're trying to put out the feelers to see how hockey fans would feel about it. But I always loved having the Isles in blue and orange to signify they were Mets of this sport aka the NY team with the much more tolerable fanbase.
                              As an Islander fan the new jersey scares me that the new owners will change to something like that once they get control. I didn't see the 80s team but there is too much history with the current uniforms to change to some gimmick to fit in with the Nets.

For the team, they have been disappointing so far. They decided a year of experience was pretty much all they needed. So far it looks a lot like the end if last year.

The Devils look better so far this year.

Comment

It's so early in the season to really gauge though I guess we're almost a quarter of a way into it. Is Tavares still out? I mean I'm sure a lot of the off season was spent with kind of centering things around his top line, so my guess is once he's back things will probably improve pretty significantly. Still presently among the top 8 of the conference meaning if things ended right now you'd be in the playoffs, so there's at least 8 teams doing worse. And for what it's worth Clutterbuck definitely has the best Movember stache I've seen thus far.
                                Last edited by ScruffCardinale; 11-09-2015, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Tavares has been back two games but looks off so far. He'll be fine though. The rest of the team needs to start scoring. Clutterbuck can grow facual hair like a champ.

Comment

Clutterbuck was born for Movember. In Wyoming. 1845.

Comment

Didn't expect to win tonight against the Blues, but really would have liked to not be shut out. That was a heart breaker at the end scored in what seemed like the last few fractions of a second the horn blared and goal song played and everybody began walking out content with what we assumed was a 2-1 defeat which would certainly be an admirable showing against St. Louis, then we heard the announcer state "no goal. the shot was made after the clock ran out". God fucking damnit! Was also definitely a bummer that the first goal was scored and assisted by ex-Devils Havlat and Gomez respectively. Happy that Gomez got to play somewhere though. Was disappointed when I learned he was one of the older players not asked to come back for us this season. Got a cool free Devils camo cap for military appreciation night though. Will wear that when I watch Thursday's game against the Blackhawks. Looking forward to Saturday against the Pens too.We're a point behind them last I looked and could conceivably overtake them in the standings if they stay idle like they've been the last few.
                                      Last edited by ScruffCardinale; 11-11-2015, 12:27 AM.

Comment

Shutting out the Pens last night and leapfrogging them in the standings in the process last night was awesome, but I definitely felt a bit bummed when I started hearing all the "Crosby sucks!" chants. I'm certainly no fan of the guy, but I always hate when one player gets singled out and picked on like that. I always like to think of NJ fans (that actually root for NJ not the fucking self loathing Uncle Tom types that live here but inexplicably root for NY or Philly) as having better sportsmanship than that. Admittedly I do always laugh at the "Rangers suck. Flyers swallow. Crosby watches" chant when it happens during a lull in games I've attended live that aren't against any of the three teams mentioned, but I feel like that's very different than just kicking a guy while he's down during a game that's presently going on. Either way hope we can keep the momentum going on our big upcoming Western Canada road trip this week against the Flames, Canucks and Oilers.

Comment

::fingers crossed:: that Edmonton's losing streak continues tonight. We can jump over Ottawa and the Islanders in the standings with a win tonight. I know there's a whole lot of season left, but after being so comfortably in the top 8 at 5th it's really worrisome to drop down to 7th. I'm meeting up with somebody from Craig's List tomorrow who gave me an insane deal on three weeknight games he was having trouble finding takers for. Two of the games are the promotional free bobblehead giveaways, so I'm getting 4 tickets to one game, 2 to another and 4 to yet another all in section 124 for $150 and one of the bobbleheads from each of the games giving those away. Can totally make it out to a half dozen games a so a year easily if you don't mind attending weeknight games against non-divisional rivals.

Comment

that disallowed goal tonight during the one delayed penalty call was bullshit. game should be in overtime right now. plus Columbus was just holding sticks and pulling guys down all night and not getting called for it. we face them three more times this season, and hopefully we just hatefuck the shit out of them. not super confident about the upcoming home and home against Montreal, but they did just say that Carey Price left the game with a possible right leg injury and maybe their other guys will still be tired come Friday after scoring so many goals tonight in NY.

Comment

+1
                                              touché my friend
                                              Where Can I Get An Ugly Christmas Sweater | Funny Christmas Hoodies | Christian Hoodie

Comment

Bruins vs. Rangers afternoon game today was a nailbiter. Didn't realize the 2016 Winter Classic was gonna be between longtime rivals Boston and Montreal. That one's probably gonna be awesome and brutal.

Comment

Saturday's game against the Stars went way better than I'd hoped. I was worried enough just about their record before seeing that Cammalleri was a scratch for the night. There were a lot more Dallas fans present than I thought there'd be, but my wife and I put it together that a bunch of Texans had probably come out to do the New Years at Times Square and stayed the extra night to catch their team out on another coast. Apparently they do this obnoxious thing where they scream "STARS!" during any line in the national anthem that has stars or star in it. And it's like this is about the nation/folks that fought for it. Don't make it about you. The only thing more annoying/embarrassing is when classless folks interject disrespectful stuff into O Canada whenever we play one of the teams from up there. It's like hey dumbasses you know how many Canadians are probably playing on both teams tonight? Either way really awesome and unexpected OT win that hopefully we can use to build momentum in the really tough stretch we've got ahead of us this week and next. Detroit tonight, Montreal Wednesday, Boston Friday, Minnesota Sunday and St. Louis Tuesday.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X