Movies 2016!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies 2016!

I guess we need a 2016 movie thread so we can make lists!

1) The Great Gatsby(2013)
    2) Porgy and Bess(1959)
    3) The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)
    4) En man som heter Ove( A Man Named Ove) (2015)

The new Great Gatsby was pretty bad, especially the music. This director is kind of awful. Porgy and Bess was pretty great. The songs who weren't too Opera-eqsue were wonderful, and the lyrics were all top notch. Sammy Davies Jr. was great! Not sure what to say about Hitchhiker, I enjoyed it, but I had huge expectations. The opening song and closing version were cool too. Sometimes it did get a bit annoying, but then it redeemed itself by being funny, the actual guide was great! The Swedish film about Ove was just as heartbreaking, heartwarming and hilarious as the book. I cried and laughed alternately.

Comment

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Really excellent first 90 minutes or so. The last 20-30 minutes, I lost interest quickly. Haven't just seen that ending once, it's already been re-used by the series. It actually made me appreciate the prequels a little for at least managing to be completely different. Can't wait for Episode IX where they blow up the super mega death star that zaps 13 planets at once. Provided they can find a weakness on its map. Still, good fun overall.

The Ridiculous Six - Well, nobody wore a fat suit.

Big Hero 6 - Well, the robot wore a fat suit.

Jurassic World - This was one of those movies where I wish someone had spent just a little more time working out why people did things. Minor changes to anyone about to do an incredibly stupid thing would have helped, and probably only taken a sentence.
      Also, did the flying things have tiny t-rex heads? Also also, whoever made this thing was abused by his nanny, right? I was a little surprised the interned babysitter didn't answer her phone mid-getting-dinosaur-hot-potatoed to have her boyfriend tell her he's into dudes strictly because of how terrible she is.

Comment

I'm bummed out that things never panned out and I missed Sisters while it was in theaters. Heard good things from people whose opinions I trust. I'm contemplating going and checking out Hail Caesar at some point, but I don't know if it'll come to pass.

Comment

1) The Great Gatsby(2013)
          2) Porgy and Bess(1959)
          3) The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)
          4) En man som heter Ove( A Man Named Ove) (2015)
          5) The Imitation Game (2014)
          6) Rent (2005)
          7) Detachment (2011)
          8) What Happened, Miss Simone? (2015)

It's been a while since I updated the list. All the movies I've seen since that have been pretty good. The Imitation Game was brilliant! I liked Rent most of the time, I liked some some of the songs a lot and some not so much, but all in all pretty good. Detachment was amazing and made me cry, but it was a bit racist, all the black people seemed to be villains or people who wanted to take away white people's nice things like Steinbeck. The Nina Simone documentary was awesome, I never realized how great she was, I had only heard a few songs prior to this.

Comment

Star Wars Episode 7 - pretty great. over the last few years i'd basically lost all interest in star wars, but a recent fireworks show rekindled that interest and we decided to check this out. loved it. probably my favorite star wars movie.

The Witch - oh my god i loved this so much. i keep wanting to talk about it

Comment

Channel surfed a while like I typically do on Sunday morning before thinking about getting up and doing anything productive. Short Circuit was on, and I hadn't watched it in several years. Totally still holds up. I'll have to watch the sequel again sometime which I always recall liking better.

Comment

Working...
              X